CIO Leadership 2021 Offerings
SUNY SAIL Institute and NYSERNet have offered the CIO Leadership Academy annually since 2017, and in light of the pandemic and ensuing fiscal challenges our campus communities continue to grapple with, the leadership development offerings for 2021 have been redesigned to meet current needs. We will continue to partner in order to support higher education IT leaders, and are proud to offer a unique suite of opportunities. Additionally, we aim to demonstrate our gratitude to those that have supported our programs and continue to welcome new and aspiring leaders. Our IT leaders have been put to the test over the past year, and it is important to recognize the good work that has taken place.
CIO Leadership BEST Showcase – March 23
The CIO Leadership BEST Showcase is open to higher education IT leaders and those interested in advancing their careers in higher education IT. Join this (virtual) workshop to boost your ability to lead your campus in the year ahead. This complimentary day of professional development, will take place on March 23, 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Register in advance for this meeting. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the event.
- Leading Our Institutions in a Time of Crisis: A View from the Six Domains of Knowledge by SUNY SAIL Institute’s founding executive director, Jason Lane
- Supporting Remote Teams: Best Practices to Support Your Campus Customers, a panel discussion on how to support faculty, students and your own team as many continue to work remotely.
- Mindful Leadership: Take Care of Yourself in Order to Lead Others, presented by Glenn Pichardo, leadership specialist at SUNY SAIL; Lisa Napora, co-founder and director of Mindfulness Alliance; and Kristen Blinne, associate professor, communications studies, SUNY College at Oneonta.
- Coaching for Success, presented by Garry Sanders, SUNY SAIL senior leadership fellow.
- Reflecting on Your Leadership Journey, presented by Kirk Young, Ph.D., vice president for student affairs, Jamestown Community College.
View the detailed agenda.
Take your leadership skills inventory this spring. Enroll in a group SUNY360 project this spring for interested IT leaders (and aspiring leaders!). SUNY SAIL will host a group debrief workshop to interpret your report. Learn more about the SUNY360 and how it can enhance your ability to lead.
The orientation will take place April 26, 11 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Group Debrief is scheduled for June 4, 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
IT Leadership BEST Awards
SUNY SAIL and NYSERNet will showcase outstanding IT leaders for their work, both individually or as part of a team. We encourage you to submit a nomination for a colleague or self-nomination. Awards will be given to IT leaders in the following categories:
*Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Leader
*Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Team Award
Learn more and submit a nomination, either for yourself, your team, or a colleague by February 26th, 2021. Awards will be presented on March 23 at the CIO Leadership BEST Showcase event.
SAIL is proud to offer professionally certified executive coaching support to our IT leaders. Take advantage of one session with a coach or purchase a package of sessions.
Applied Learning Library
Interested in learning more about the amazing IT work happening across SUNY and beyond? Participants in past CIO Leadership Academies developed plans to lead the implementation or development of an initiative, project or sub-project on his or her campus. Below is a link to the library of projects presented.