CIO Leadership Academy
NYSERNet and the SAIL Institute have partnered to provide a custom academy designed around a series of workshops to help aspiring and current CIOs and IT professionals develop and strengthen their leadership abilities. This cohort-based program moves participants through a journey of self-discovery, skill development and knowledge creation. A variety of pedagogical approaches are used to ensure that learners of all styles are able to engage in and contribute to the program.
The program is largely interactive, using a variety of small group discussions, role-playing opportunities, simulations, leadership assessments, panel discussions and case studies all situated within the context in which the modern CIO exists. The faculty for the program will be a combination of leadership development experts and experienced CIOs.
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) Leadership Academy enables current and aspiring CIOs to strengthen their leadership ability by:
- Gaining new understanding of their personal leadership styles;
- Knowing when to use different leadership skills based on the situation;
- Being able to articulate a vision and turn the vision into implementation;
- Learning how to build and lead a team;
- Developing new collaboration skills; and
- Advancing their understanding of key issues confronting CIOs (e.g., information security, institutional data management and new data-enabled student success technologies).
After Completing This Program, Patricipants will:
- Understand their personal leadership style and behavioral impact on others;
- More effectively use communication and relationship-building skills to motivate others;
- Lead and develop teams within complex organizations;
- Understand the position of the CIO as a senior leader in their setting;
- Identify new and future challenges confronting CIOs and develop proactive action plans;
- Create a unifying vision for their organizations and learn strategies to collaborate across organizational silos.
March 9-10, 2017
Rockefeller Institute for Government, Albany, NY
Virtual Growth Session #1
March 29, 2017
Information Security & Collaborative Leadership
Virtual Growth Session #2
April 20, 2017
Situational Leadership & Predictive Analytics
Virtual Growth Session #3
May 9, 2017
Vision & Implementation
May 31, 2017
University at Albany
Information Technology Building